Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Avalon: My 2008 Avalon has the same reoccurring headlight problem.

Customer Question

My 2008 Avalon has the same reoccurring headlight problem. I was have been on the phone with Toyota just this morning. They are saying it is beyond the 72K mile warranty is will not be honored as a safety related recall.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please clarify who you spoke to at Toyota and was it the dealer of the Customer Experience Center?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem: Headlights randomly shut off individual and/or together. The headlights will come on again by turning the switch off then on, but the left headlight promptly shut off again. This occurs every few minutes requiring constant recycling of the on/off switch creating a real safety hazard while driving at night. The car was inspected at the Toyota dealer service center. They reported no findings.
I spoke with 3 Customer Service agents from the Toyota Experience Center(###) ###-####. Since the mileage was beyond 72K, and the warranty had expired, they could not assist.
I have seen several complaints from other 2008 Avalon owners posting the same headlight problem on various Consumer Report Websites. All are upset with Toyota's lack of responsibility in correcting a known safety problem with their premier luxury vehicle. Any help that you can provide would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Dwayne Williams
San Francisco CA/ Wilmington NC
Hello again. The analysts at the CEC can only assist to a point. I would recommend that you contact your local Toyota dealership's service department. Ask them to scheduel a personal appointment with the Toyota District Parts and Service Operations Manager (DPSOM). They will tell you when he (or she) is going to be at the dealership. (you must meet with them on dealership property, you cannot do business with them over the phone or email). When you meet with the DPSOM, explain the situation. If you are loyal to that dealership with regards ***** ***** purchases, and/or service work, that is a plus. The DPSOM has the ability to offset some of the costs to rectify your situation via what Toyota calls a "goodwill Assistance Policy". The DPSOM will probably be willing to pay for a percentage of the repair; this is usually 50%, or he pays for the parts and you pay for the labor to rectify the issue. He will NOT grant you a 100% repair where you do not participate in the costs. Speak calmly and be really nice (these people get beat up by unhappy customers every day of the week. The happier you are the more apt he is to help you more. Trust me. I watched this over 20 years. The DPSOMs are good people and are willing to help. If you have a lot of Toyota purchase history, cars/service/etc, that loyalty is a very large motivator on the DPSOM's assistance level. Please rememeber that the key word here is stay cal;m and be pleasant. I'm sure you will get help from the DPSOM; the headlamp issue is very well known. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer