Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota pickup: I have an 83 toyota pick up that hadnt been

Customer Question

I have an 83 toyota pick up that hadnt been started in 7 or 8 years. Its gas had turned to whatever it turns into. So i cleaned the tank, checked for blockages in fuel lines, replaced fuel filters, replaced mechanical fuel pump, did a carb rebuild, filled with fresh gas and i even did a tune up (cap rotor wires plugs oil and filter). It starts up fine but will shut off when put into gear, its an automatic by the way. Im not a mechanic but enjoy diy for my truck but its frustrating without proper instruction. What causes engine to shutdown when put in gear but turns right back on and will idle fine? O yeah i just yesterday cleaned out egr valve which was clogged almost full, but same result. starts idles fine, shuts off when put in gear.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.Have you tried jacking up the back of the truck to get the wheels off the ground? Does it stall then? I'm wondering if the torque converter is locked up. It would be like dumping the clutch on a manual transmission vehicle.Have you tried revving the engine and dropping it into gear? What happens?Will the engine rev freely if the truck is in neutral?Please let me know and we'll figure this out.DJ