Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

How do I adjust the parking brake on a 2008 Prius?

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.
The parking brake adjustment is under the center console.To remove the console, pull up on the front cup holders to expose 4 screws. 2 on top, and one on each side at the bottom. Then remove the carpet in the console to expose the (2)10mm bolts. The console lifts up and the parking brake adjustment is there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did that per your instructions and found the adjuster is adjusted all the way to the stop. What would I do next? The tire shop checked the brakes last tire change and said they were like 40%

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the Prius uses drum brakes at the rear which are adjustable, if the brakes are out of adjustment the parking brake will also be out of adjustment. I believe there is an adjustment opening at the rear of the backing plate, adjust the rear brakes and see if the parking brake goes to normal operation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. And how do I adjust it if there is the ad

Juster?

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
There should be adjustingholes at the rear of the backing plates, look fo oval rubber plugs and pull them out, there is a star adjuste wheel that only goes one way, look inside with a flash light, use a short scredriver or a brake adjusting tool to turn the ratcheting wheel until there is a slight drag when turning the wheel the wheel has to be off the gound to do this.