Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota Highlander: Having problems with 2010 highlander with

Customer Question

Having problems with 2010 highlander with bottom latch of rear lift gate. It was giving me the door ajar signal in dash so I stopped to see what was wrong. I opened the lift hate and securely closed it, but the door ajar dash light remained on and the bell that indicates that a door is open continued to ring. So I re-opened the lift gate to look at the latch mechanism to see if something was obviously amiss. With my finger I pushed the little "C" shaped piece in the door latch mechanism forward, so that it rotated. Unfortunately when it got to a 90 degree rotation, to my surprise it clicked and locked into a position such that the latch mechanism will no longer accept the "ring" in the door frame that secures the door when it closes. So now I can't even close my lift gate so that I can limp home with my tale between my legs!! Can you tell me how to get the "C" shaped latching mechanism free so that it can rotate back into a position in which it can accept the latching "ring" in the door frame and securely close the door?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Kevin sounds silly you've tried release handle yes?