Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have an 07 rav4, and the rear passenger door is stuck closed.

Customer Question

I have an 07 rav4, and the rear passenger door is stuck closed. It appears to stay locked. I have the door panel removed and I can physically manipulate the levers, but I do not believe any of them are actually for the lock. There is no way to access the screws in the door jamb with the door locked in the closed position.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually did some more tinkering, and found out the following information:
First off, when it happened, my mother couldn't close the door...She forced it and heard a crunch, then it never opened again.
Second....the cables are working properly. The lock cable when activated makes a click that sounds identical to the doors that work.
Third...I can reach inside the door and manually move the silver lever on the side of the actuator. I took the other door apart, and this lever is what opens it. It doesn't do anything on the broken door.
All of this tells me that the actuator has some kind of internal breakage, which is an issue because it is a sealed black box deep inside the door, and the bolts are in the jamb, which isn't accessible with the door stuck closed. I'm really stuck.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
This will require a lock smith to most likely come out and use their tools to try and disengage the latch.The latch itself may be the cause as this is a common component to fail for this issue and usually requires replacement.The actuator itself may be at fault but usually won't cause a crunch noise.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was actually able to work it open, it just took some time. I bent a small screwdriver and probed in the crack at the latch for a few minutes, then had my friend pull on the outside while I used a crowbar on the inside. It popped open. I was then able to remove the actuator/latch box. Inside the latch, box, there was a metal bar that engages the lock. It was bent, not allowing the lock to disengage. It works opposite of the way I think of a lock working. When it is locked, it actually just moves one of the internal pivoting levers out of the way, so that it cannot contact the latch release....effectively making the handle just do nothing. The lever that allowed it to unlock (or engage) was bent. I bent it back, and it works like a charm.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
That is great to hear the fault has been resolved.If it acts up again the actuator may need replaced.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help if you like.
Thanks Pete