Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota Highlander: 2003 Toyota Highlander, 2.4L engine. My

Customer Question

2003 Toyota Highlander, 2.4L engine. My child ran her engine out of oil, to the point the coolant blow out after the temp gauge bottomed out, and shut off. The next I went to recover it, and that's when I found that there was no oil. I added some oil and coolant turn the key, and it started right up. I drove it on to my trailer. When I started to check for damage I checked the compression I got #1-150,#2-140, #3-150,#4-150. I had just replaced all of the timing chaining and everything in the kit. It left home running likea new one. Should I put oil in it and let it go or do I need to look deeper to check for and other problems.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.I would pull one of the cams and see if the journals or bearing surfaces is scarred. The cam shaft is the farthest thing away from the oil pump and the first thing to get damaged if you have a lack of lubrication. If the camshaft and the journals are good, then isn't too much to worry about. There's still a small chance that the head gasket is bad, but a good chance that it's OK and not going to be a problem.If the cam journals or bearings are scarred, it's likely that the main and rod bearings are scarred. If it's not too bad you can just slip in new bearings without taking out the engine or spending a fortune. So there's a lot of unknowns at this point. But pulling the cam cover and taking out one of the cams doesn't take that long and it will give you a very good idea of what the rest of the engine is like.Please let me know if you have any additional questions on this or if there is anything more I can do for you.DJ