Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota Tacoma: My 1997 Tacoma has a very high psi ( 300) on

Customer Question

My 1997 Tacoma has a very high psi ( 300) on the high side. Low side at 40. A/C still blows cold air. Hopefully it won't blow a hose.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for postingExtremely high pressure on the high side can be due to an overcharged system, did you evacuate and put in the recommended amount of Freon? that would be my first step, if the Freon level is ok then the problem may be a clogged expansion valve, high pressure on the high side is normally due to a restriction on the high side before going to the low side and that point is the expansion valve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. Now how hard is it to change out an expansion valve on a1997 Toyota Tacoma?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Kind of involved, the heater housing has to be removed then the evaporator housing, then the housing has to be opened up because the expansion valve is located in the evaporator housing, normally about a six hour job