sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Tacoma: 2007 Tacoma. Last night pulled into my driveway and

Customer Question

2007 Tacoma. Last night pulled into my driveway and it sputtered and died. Was able to restart, but sputtering and barely made it into the carport before it died again. Help!
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
UPDATE: truck sat overnight. Fuel gauge was just above empty, but I wondered if it maybe the gauge was off, or if maybe the last bit of gas was bad. So I added almost two gallons of gas, and it started up fine. I drove it up and down the driveway without any problems, but I'm leery of driving it away from the house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ADDITIONAL UPDATE: just took it to fill it up with gas and drove it around town. It did fine. What could have made it sputter and die?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if it may have been low enough on gas that it sucked air and quit running. If it was that low then it may have sucked air when going around a corner or an incline and it caused the engine to die. It may have been lower than what you realized due to gauge inaccuracy, it may have been low enough to suck air due to a corner or incline, or it may have drawn air even though there was some fuel left in the tank due to a pump issue.