Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2000 Toyota solara when car is warm it sputters, eventually

Customer Question

2000 Toyota solara when car is warm it sputters, eventually dies if not driving
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. When the car is warm, and it sputters and stalls out whilst idling, we usually find a failed "idle air control Valve" ("IAC" for short) is the cause. The IAC does just what its name implies, it admits specific amounts of air into the engine to raise or lower the idle. When it does not respond properly, there is not enough idle air to keep the engine form stalling. The recommendation I have for you on this request is to have the throttle body removed and replace the IAC valve. I would not recommend cleaning it, we have tried many times to 'save' bad IACs, we have had no success. Replacement is the only way to rectify this situation. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer