Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I just bought an 06 Tacoma V6. I am hearing a slight ticking

Customer Question

I just bought an 06 Tacoma V6. I am hearing a slight ticking sound when accelerating and was trying to find out if this is normal or not
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ. Most of the time when you hear a ticking sharp sound on acceleration only, it's a leak at one of the exhaust manifolds. The sound is fairly high pitched and you can hear individual bursts of exhaust gas. It's kind of like 'Che' 'Che' 'Che". It's a rapid pulse and sounds like a tick but not like it you tapped the valve cover with a hammer. The sound is more extended than that. Normally you can just tighten the exhaust manifold and solve the problem. If you let it go too long it can erode the metal from the cylinder head. If you've got the tools you can do it yourself. Otherwise expect a shop to charge up to $50 for the repair. Please let me know if you have any additional questions on this or if there is anything more I can do to help you. DJ