Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 1991 Toyota Camry with a 3FSE engine, 4 speed auto

Customer Question

I have a 1991 Toyota Camry with a 3FSE engine, 4 speed auto w/overdrive.I have replaced water pump and seals due to a coolant leak. I have replaced distributor with cap and rotor, new wires and replaced sparkplugs with new titanium plugs. I have new head gasket and intake gasket, i have timing set to 10 degress BTDC. I have new alternator, battery, fuel filter, air filter, MAF sensor, replaced ATF in tranny and diff.
The engine runs excellent but when i put in drive, i have the gas pedal pushed to floor and it hardly moves. I have pulled the TPS connector off to see if that helped and nothing. Can you help?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
.
You will want to check the fuel pressure to see if it is too low. Also that there is a good flow of fuel.
..

Then if the fuel pressure and flow are good, the exhaust may be a little bit restricted. You can have a back pressure test done on it at most exhaust shops to see if the cat is clogged.
.
.
If they are both ok, then you will want to take a sample of the fuel to be sure that it’s not contaminated.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, i checked the fuel pressure and that is good. The catalytic converter is good. I replaced the water pump and seals and that's when this issue started, but i have checked the timing and it is dead on. It reverses better than it moves in drive, but not much better. If you need more information on what has been done to the car since December and I'll be happy to let you know
I see, thanks. What is the compression in the cylinders?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
175
That is all that I can think of on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.
.
*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ********
.
.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. So, compression is good, which means valve timing is good, and it runs excellent up to the point where the tranny is put in Drive, then no power. All of which makes me think of ignition timing being way off causing low engine vacuum. This is what I would like you to do:Go back and re-check ignition timing making sure it's done by the book (see attachment)Once ignition timing has been reset, turn the engine off; then disconnect and remove the Oxygen sensor from the exhaust down pipeStart the engine with the O2 sensor out of the exhaust and put the tranny in Drive. It's going to be noisy, but does it feel like it has more power now?If it does, turn the engine off and install a vacuum gauge to a vacuum port on the manifold. Restart the engine and note vacuum reading at idle (should be more than 17"Hg). Turn engine off.Reinstall the O2 sensor and re-start the engine. If vacuum reading now lower than 17"Hg, repair restricted exhaust system.​Kindly accept and rate my answer now if you think the information I've provided has helped you solve your issue. Otherwise, please reply. Best Regards.
Here is the attachment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Adjusting the distributor worked, it runs 75% better, it actually moves now. As the rpm increases, it surges a small amount though, do i need to adjust it further or do i have another small issue?
The ignition timing should be adjusted exactly as indicated in the procedure I previously attached for you - that's one of the basic adjustments that will determine how the engine runs.Once that's done, you can then run the engine at idle and carefully spray choke cleaner around the intake manifold to see if there are any vacuum leaks. If no leaks are found, then jumper the engine check connector the same way as you did to check for timing and adjust the idle speed to 600-700 RPM. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will the choke cleaner cause engine idle speed to rise thus indicating a vacuum leak?
The computer that controls the engine in your car is programmed to run the engine at a ratio of 14.7 parts of air for each part of fuel. Whenever there is a vacuum leak, unmetered air will enter the engine thus upsetting that 14.7:1 ratio. By momentarily spraying choke cleaner on the source of the vacuum leak, you're basically restoring the original ratio, which in turns allows the computer to once again control the engine to run to the original specifications. Kindly accept and rate my answer now if you think the information I've provided has helped you solve your issue. Otherwise, please reply. Best Regards.
Hi again. Just checking to see if the information I provided helped you solve your issue. If it did, kindly accept and rate my answer now. If it didn't, please reply.
Best Regards.