Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota camry: I have 96 camry car had been running fine just

Customer Question

I have 96 camry car had been running fine just died driving .wouldent startagain .check the fire it has good spark. Check the fuel .cant hear pump run with key on but has presher at fuel rail while cranking.check the timing at least 4 times on compression stroke the rotorbug is on 1 and markson balanceris on 0 tryed to start with starting fluid still wont hit a lick . Had code for tps changed it .still nothing.ran a compresion test all little low but consist to be expected with the miles it has.im running out of ideas any thoughts.thanks mark
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If you have spark, and it will not start with starting fluid, you do not have proper valve timing. oN this case, I think you need to pull the valve cover off and visually look to see that both valve on the number one cylinder are closed with the timing marks and the crank pully lined up properly. You may have a crank pulley that has slipped, which would cause the timing mark to be incorrect. The 2-piece crank pulleys are known to separate as of late; This is where I would be looling first if your car was in my shop.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for choosing Just Answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both valves closed bug on 1 mark on 0
remove a spark plug and verify that the piston is at the top of the cylinder.
remove number 1 cylinder spark plug and verify that the piston is at the top of the cylinder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did and it is
Remove the EGR valve and see if it is stuck in the open position
remove the valve and blow thru it. You should not be able to blow air thru the valve if you can blow air thru it, it is stuck open and needs replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i will try that next
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the EGR valve is closed you cannot blow through it
If you have spark and proper compression (150 or better), & proper valve timing, it ought to at least try to start with starting fluid . I am now thinking that the distributor is not pulsing the spark at the proper time to fire the mixture Most likely a bad crank angle sensor inside the distributor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would think it would cough or spitor something
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I can look at that tomorrow see where that leads me
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
answers have been helpful butstill havent fixed the car
If you have proper valve timing, and proper compression, the car should start on starting fluid. What are the compressions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just have bout 100. I know thats pretty low but you got to remember the car ran perfect before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a chance crank or cam sensor would stop it from starting. Still feel like it should at least hit with ether.sure seems like timing but i must have check it 15 times
It could very well be a crank or cam sensor. The thing to do is find out if you have spark on all of the plugs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes check all four all have fire
100 is too low. This really sounds like it has jumped time. If you have spark, and you have the right valve timing, the engine should run on starting fluid. It should at least try to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok gess i can pull off timing cover and ck marks. I let you know what i find might b couple days before i get time to work on it again.
Ok please let me know.