Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota Prius III: 2011 Toyota Prius III JBL sound system. CD

Customer Question

2011 Toyota Prius III JBL sound system. CD player displays error code 3. CD stuck inside. Rest of radio functions properly. Any thoughts?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Thanks you for requesting me.
We see this in the shop quite often, the ERR 3 code.
The code indicates that the unit cannot read the CD (common on home-made CDs), there is a defect in where the CD player 'reads' the information (next to the center hole), or, 2 cds have been inserted into the same slot on a multi-disc player.
Short of sending the unit out for a repair (your Toyota dealer can do this for you), there is one thing you can try.
What we do in the shop is remove the radio completely from the instrument panel, disconnecting all of the wires. After letting the radio sit for a few minutes, we start the car, plug the radio in, then hit the eject button. 70% of the time the offending CD will eject.
This does not work 100% of the time, as there may be something else causing the issue. But, we have had success with removing the radio, then replug it and hit the eject button.
It is certainly worth the time to do it, as the radio repair facility the dealer sends the radio to will charge you 250 dollars (at the minimum) to rectify the situation.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer