Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

RX 330: Had the steering gear and axle replaced on right side

Customer Question

Had the steering gear and axle replaced on right side of 2006 rx 330. Now power steering pump is whinning
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
If the gear was replaced and the fluid was not flushed out/refilled properly, you will get a whine.
Whining comes form two causes: Either there are air bubbles present it the fluid, or, the pump is bad.
The recommendation here is to look at the steering fluid for the presence of air bubbles. If you see them, cycle the steering wheel form all the way left to all the way right until the noise changes. A little spritz of pure silicone spray into the power steeing reservoir will help alleviate the bubbles.
If there are no bubbles, you have a pump issue. I would recommend flushing the PS system and purchasing and pouring into the steering reservoir 1 bottle of Lucas Power steering treatment will help this condition.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer