Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

4Runner SR5: . First time on this site. Own a 2003 4Runner.

Customer Question

Hi. First time on this site. Own a 2003 4Runner. Recently discovered water around my fuse box (may explain why my rear wiper stopped working for about 2 weeks). Seeing posts describing leak entering through holes around the windshield. But my first thought was roof rack damage I experienced from recent car transport.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other than once I have not had the water appear again around the fuse box (it actually dripped onto my leg that one time). I felt water all around the fuse box and the underside of the instrument panel. My roof rack damage was thought initially to be superficial (the only damage was fracturing the rear plastic caps covering the mounting brackets but no other damage to the brackets was seen), but I subsequently noticed body damage (deep scratches) to the top surface of spoiler near each end. Didn't notice this at first (too high above my head and facing upwards).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also don't think it's the sun roof. There are no signs that this is "leaking", although water can be felt from inside the truck by poking a finger into the sun roof opening at the front driver's side corner. But I think rain collects there (in a drain tray) and drains into tubes at each end
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for posting
The sunroof has a drain channel all around the opening there are water drain tubes attached to each corner that exit at the bottom of the vehicle, it sounds like the front drain tube on the left has become detached from the sunroof frame assembly.
To check this the sunvisor and the center overhead console should be removed as well as the plastic A pillar along the inside of the windshield, remove the door opening molding, the headliner can be pulled down enough to inspect the drain tube and be re attached. It's also possible that the drain tube is clogged preventing drainage of the water which causes it to collect and flow into the headliner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the likely source of the leak. It spilled over from the sunroof drain tray because the driver's side drain tube was clogged and water managed to fall over the side of the tray during a turn. The tube has been cleared and water now drains quickly.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update and thanks for using our service.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Please take a moment to give me a rating, thanks.