Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Tacoma: I have 99 taco with a 3.4. it starts missing badly

Customer Question

I have 99 taco with a 3.4. it starts missing badly @2500rpm, but I can push it and it smooth's out @3000 plugs coils wires, and fuel filter replaced within 5000 mi. any suggestions?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for posting
Does engine idle normally?
Does the check engine light stay on when driving?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
idle is normal, check engine light has not come on at all
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** misfiring happen at light throttle application?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it happens with light and heavy throttle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, check to make sure the ground connections at the left side of the plenum chamber are tight, it's a 10 mm bolt with a bunch of brown/ black wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they were tight but a little dirty, cleaned and retightened gonna go test it real quick. it looked like they were clean enough for contact but we'll see if this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any other ideas?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll be here online.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well that didn't work
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Is this more of a surge condition or a jerking? Does it bog down or backfire?
How long ago did this start, was it gradual or happen all of a sudden?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's more like a violent jerking, it does bog and backfire a little bit at 2500. I parked the truck for a week when I went offshore and it started doing this on the way back home just all of the sudden. when I parked it a week ago it ran perfect
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
It's possible that you may have gotten some contaminated fuel at the gas station?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's always possible, I filled up at my usual stations. it's kinda puzzling that it would only happen at that rpm. the fuel filter only has about 500 mi on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5000*
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'll swap out the fuel filter in the morning and see what happens. any other things to look at that you can think of?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
I agree, I also find it strange that the check engine light doesn't turn on, if this is a problem with a cam or crankshaft sensor the light should turn on. Would you be willing to have the computer scanned for codes just in case, most autoparts stores do this for free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already swung by autozone and had them scan it this morning. they couldn't get anything on it. could it possibly be somewhere in the ecm?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Possible but it would be unusual, did their scanner not pickup any codes or did it not communicate with the ECM? The strange part is that it's only happening at a fairly narrow rpm range, it may be worth a try to check the computer connectors for any corrosion and make sure the brown/black wires from the ECM all show good ground to the body.
I would also do a resistance check of both the cam and crank sensors.