Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

Pick up v6 auto: ***** ***** 2wd v6, truck runs -30 minutes

Customer Question

1993 Toyota 2wd v6, truck runs for 20-30 minutes then dies. wait 10-15minutes and it starts and runs and does the same thing. trying to help a neighbor. Wanting to see if there is something I can change on the road to get him home. Once at home I can diagnose deeper.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ. It sounds like it's losing spark, or fuel or both. There are some tests I would like you to try in this order. First off, swap the EFI relay with the STARTER relay. The EFI relay powers just about everything on the motor. The EFI relay is in the fuse box under the hood. The STARTER relay is in the fuse box under the dash on the left side of the cab. The relay is in the upper right hand corner. The relays are the same, so let's swap them and see if it solves the problem. If that doesn't do it, loosen the gas cap. It could be that air isn't getting into the tank to replace the fuel that's going out of the tank. Eventually it can cavitate and the engine runs out of gas. Third test is to use a paper clip bent into a U shape and jumper B+ to FP in the DIAGNOSIS box. The box is about 1" x 2" and it's right next to the fuse box under the hood. The terminals in the DIAGNOSIS box are shaped like this: O_O and the legs of the paperclip fit right into the round part. Inside the lid of the box is a chart that shows what each of the greasy terminals is. FP to B+ will bypass several components and power the fuel pump when the key is in the RUN position. Let's try these and see if we can narrow down the problem just a bit. Let me know what you find and we'll figure this out. DJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
truck started it was a loose coil wire- thanks for your help
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.
That's great! You sure got lucky on this one.
If you haven't already done so, please rate my answer.
DJ