Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Es300: i changed alternator on my 1999 lexus es300 and while

Customer Question

i changed alternator on my 1999 lexus es300 and while taking off old one there was a spark at the ground wire unplug battery and continue when I put the new one in now guages ,a/c, radio and will not shift out of park.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hi There is not a ground wire to the alternator, there is a connector, all power wires and a large power wire. An alternator should always be replaced with the battery disconnected as should any electrical repair. You have grounded the main alternator power wire to the alternator case whcih is grounded to the engine by its mounts. This has caused an electrical spike. Check for blown fuses, if there are none then this spike/surge has caused the now faulty components to be bad and needing to be replaced. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris