Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota Scion xd: My car was towedast Friday due to a revoked

Customer Question

My car was towedast Friday due to a revoked registration. My all wheel drive Toyota scion xd was towed by a sling type truck from the front. I got my car back Wednesday and the check engine light was on. I called the towing company and reported this to them. They told me to drive 100-200 miles and see what happens. Thursday morning my car shakes lightly as I try to accelerate and will decelerate. I have to pull over and start my car again. I checked my car manual and it shows my car should not be towed in the manner that it was. My car was in great condition when they took it. The check engine light was on when I got it back. Can anybody tell me if the towing company is liable? Or what possible damage this improper towing could have done?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you
Is this car registered in the USA? If so, it is not an AWD vehicle.
If it is registered outside of the USa, and indeed is AWD, sling-towing form the front can and will cause drivelisne problems. However, this would be a mechanical failure, and would not set a check engine light, as mechanical issuesare not measured with sensors. Sensors are what tells the computer what is going on with the car. WHen there are no worries, the check engine light stays off. When a sensor indicates a problem, the computer turns the light on. In theory, you could run the engine dry on oil and not have a check engine light occur, as the oil pan, the oil, etc is not monitored via a sensor. you would have the oil pressure light on, of course, but no check engine light. Same thing with the transaxle assembly. You could run it too dry on oil and not see a check engine light.
The thing to do here, before placing blame on the towing company, would be to get the car scanned. The check light can come on for well over a hundred reasons, no just because it was towed.
Have the codes given to you and the codes explained exactly what the system is that is causing the check light to come on and what needs to be done about it. Once you have that information, and the issue is related to the towing, you have a very good case against the towing company to pay for the repairs.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer