Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Solara: My son has a Toyota Solara Last weekend it started

Customer Question

My son has a Toyota Solara
Last weekend it started making a sound "like a golf cart".
Took to a local mechanic and he advised it was the A/C compressor and not worth fixing - it would be $9k to fix. Just sounds strange to me.
Thoughts?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you
Did he say $9,000 dollars?
If so, that is absolutely astonishing. Sounds more like he priced the job thru the roof because A) he has no clue what is wrong with it B) he has a clue but does not know how to fix it or C) both of the above.
I'm not trying to be funny here. We see this all the time. A 'mechanic' quotes a huge price hoping you will not purchase the repair.
Replacement of a failed compressor, the receiver dryer (always replace this when changing the compressor), evac and recharging the system should only cost around 1500-1750 dollars.
I'd find a second opinion on this. 9,000 dollars is simply ridiculous.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.
If not, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer