Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Echo: 2000 Toyota Echo. Has relay box added under hood. Attached/crimped

Customer Question

2000 Toyota Echo. Has relay box added under hood. Attached/crimped Blue wire in wire harness. Relay goes to battery. There is a fuse on each wire. Relay also has ground wire. What is Blue wire for ? My radio,clock,lighter,map light do not work. I had to hotwire my fan to a switch. I added fuse to the dome slot but it kills the battery. Want to put everything back right. Not sure what this is about .
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relay box labeled QXVF4-3-12A-R
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
I cannot tell you exactly what the relay is for without seeing it. My guess would be either the car had foglights added to it, an aftermarket radio amplifier, a security system, or something like that. Toyota does not use crimp connectors on anything. The relay was added at some point. A Toyota relay would have a 10 digit part number, 5 digits, a dash, and 5 more digits
The DOME fuse controls the radio, the clock and the lighter. This leads me to believe that the radio is not shutting off when the car is off.
If I were you, I would disconnect the radio and see if the battery continues to go dead. If not, replace the radio. Additionally, since you have this mysterious relay, look to see if there is an aux radio amplifier someplace in the car. These things are notorious for not shutting off when the radio is turned off.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.
If not, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the radio doesn't come on either way, but I did read that there is a factory amp behind the glovebox. It may take me some time to get to, but I will give it a shot. Here are some better photos..
Looks like a fog light relay to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my dad said the same thing to me. I'm going to rate you soon. Don't worry lol. Im still trying to find the actual problem. Today I put a new horn relay in. I know the horn itself works. I even pulled the airbag/horn piece off the steering wheel and the springs look fine. The horn wire/plug looks ok. But still doesn't honk :/ .I am about to go mess around with it some more.there's quite a few things that aren't right with it but I think somehow most of these problems are related somehow, maybe not. Could I possibly have a bad fuse box ? or maybe some wires could have gotten pulled from it enough to mess with all of this ? and if I were to bring it to the dealership, even though my check engine light isn't on, could they scan the electrical system to help me figure some things out without actually fixing them ?
Based on your latest update, this relay could also be an added horn relay....If the relay and the horn are OK, ie you can make the horn blow by attaching a wire from the battery, it is a very fair estimation that the clock spring/spiral cable between the steering wheel and the steering column has a broken wire. When this wire breaks, the first thing to stop working is the horn.
If it is not a fog light relay, it may be an attempt at getting the horn working by avoiding replacement of the spiral cable
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the horn itself works. I bought a new relay. I've been looking at the wire diagrams in my manual. I read about the clock spring, that if it is bad the horn won't work, so I suspect the clock spring is bad.Also, my airbag light is on. Would this effect my radio and map light also?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also read that if one of the speakers comes disconnected it will cause the radio to shut off like some sort of safety thing. Is this true?
No. Totally untrue. There are no safety things like this in your car