Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Avalon: 98 Avalon ran awesome till it wouldn't start after

Customer Question

98 Avalon ran awesome till it wouldn't start after work replaced cam sensor, crank sensor, igniter, coils disconnected after market alarm has power to coils until you crank it ? can it be the key chip?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Your Toyota Guy replied 1 year ago.
Yes, when the key chip is not recognized by the car the ecm will not send signal to the coils.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is your best recommendation to narrow down that specifically as the problem? The Toyota dealerships we've called have said it's too old for them to work on. Is that true? We'd rather take it to a Toyota compatible shop other than the dealership. The ECM seems like quite a beast to understand without professional attention. Please advise.
Too old to work on??? I work on these every week at the dealership. Put the key in the ignition and turn to the on position, take note of the security light, it should flash until the key is turned to the on position then it should go dark. Can you verify this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The security light flashes constantly, in 1 second intervals. It flashes with no key, when the key is in the ignition, when the key's clicked to acc, when the key is on, and while the key is completely turned. It still blinks when the engine is cranking but it just won't engage. Some place had bypassed our factory alarm for a aftermarket alarm many years ago, which we have disconnected since the keyless entry device kept malfunctioning. Since then, I have solely resorted to entrance of car by the key, which has never created a problem for over two years. I've honestly never took heed to the significance of the security light, however, I notice now the security light constantly blinks insinuating it's armed, but I haven't heard the alarm actually go off in a long, long time. To my understanding, it seems this is contributing greatly to my car cranking but not starting fully.