Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My electronic key is acting up on my 2014 toyota highlander-

Customer Question

my electronic key is acting up on my 2014 toyota highlander- i replaced the battery in the key fob about two months ago it was working fine until the last few days when it started acting up a bit not functioning locking the doors from 20 yards away etc.
today i go out to car and the battery appears dead in the car - i get it jumped off and the lights all turn on but the message says key is not detected
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what you have described here this sounds like an internal electrical fault with the key fob itself,I have seen this fail quite a few times before in the past and had to replace it for this issue here.
I would also have the battery tested as well as for any battery drain issue to locate why the battery was dead.
Thanks Pete