Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

02 June 2015 01:47 Larry, how are you? well I got the new

Customer Question

02 June 2015 01:47 Larry, hi how are you? well I got the new distributor, put it in. it was easy really. just plug and play, they make things now so you really cant screw it up too much. however, car still wont start. I had a local mobile mechanic out
here when I put the new distributor in. he tried to start it , no start, then he looked at the timing belt said it was rather loose. and thought the timing might be off a notch or so. he got in there to turn it and align it by hand but when he turned it a
little bit it stopped and would not go anymore. like it seized up. he said he would have to replace the timing belt and try it and go from there and mentioned he hoped the valves were not bent. hes coming wed to do that. well after he left i started reading
up on it. according to my book, it says all steps MUST be followed or damage will result. first it said make sure right side of car is jacked up, drive belt is off, and turn the timing belt by hand two full rotations before even trying to start the car. well
, obviously that wasnt done that way. since he tried to start it before he turned it is that going to jack something up? he mentioned something about maybe its a interference motor. i looked it up and mine is a non-interference engine. from what i grasp of
that, even though the timing siezed up and wont move forward and only back a little it shouldnt damage the valves or pistons. is that correct?? so, what do you think. could I have gotten a false error code due to a timing belt issue, since I believe the camshaft
sensor and the crankshaft communicate with each other. so if theres issues in the timing, crankshaft and such the sensor might indicate an error code that actually stems from the crankshaft? does that make any sense to you? or am I just throwing shit up there
to see if it sticks?? lol needless to say im still at square one with this damn thing and frustrated as hell. will replacing the timing belt fix my problem? and should I replace the water pump while Im at it since it will be in the area sorta. anything else
to replace look at ???? and the elusive oil leak is still a problem . i did tighten up some things underneath the car, and I found something that is not even bolted down. not that it caused the oil leak, but i think it should be secured at least. its this
long batr or brace, looks like its attached to the back of the block maybe and comes down at an angle to the lower part of the car. i see a hole that matches up to the end , so I am assuming it goes there. also in the back of the manifold i think, theres little
holes each one has a bolt in it or a hose coming out of it.... except for one. theres one hole that there is nothing in it. I know sometimes its supposed to be like that, just wondering if you knew off hand. illl try to take a picture so you can see what i
am seeing. Im not sure if i identify the part and pieces right. lol i thought about tackling this timing thing, even though it seems difficult in the book. the guy said wednesday, so thats another and if 3 days id be down . I cant afford this much longer!!
and im not quite sure i trust in him even though hes certified and all that. I mean, he mucked up on step number one for pete sake!! thanks dude......
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Before he replaces the timing belt have him or you, do a compression test.That will tell if the belt has slipped. Yes, its a non interference engine so the valves wont take a hit.
Once you do that let me know the results and we can go from there>
LJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'm on it.
It will save any unnecessary work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok regarding compression test. It says do it on a warm engine, hmmm little difficult when it won't start? Explain....
When its warm the metal expands so you get a more accurate reading but dont worry because it wont be that big a difference and i can tell enough with cold readings. I have to sign off for the night so i will talk to you tomarrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Take your time and let me know when you can.