Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

Sienna: I have a 2008 Sienna with ~ 140K miles on it. Recently

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Sienna with ~ 140K miles on it. Recently wen going around a wide bend (not a sharp turn), primarily to the right, there is a ticking noise that disappears when i complete the turn or slightly adjust the wheel back the other way.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. The most common cause of this is a failing cv axle. When the joint in the axle becomes worn then it will make a clicking noise during turns. I have also seen worn engine mounts and loose brake pads cause this on the Sienna, but the axle is the most common. Were you planning on fixing this yourself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Interesting that I would not hear this during all turns or even sharp turns...as noted only during what I would consider gradual turns like going around an on or off ramp and when i adjust the wheel to a slightly different turn radius it stops. While I do replace my own brakes, how difficult to replace a CV axle?

Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
When the axle starts to fail and is minimally bad then the noise can occur only certain circumstances. The axle is not terribly hard to replace. The hardest part can be getting it out of the transmission. If you have done the brakes yourself then the first thing I would actually do it make sure that the pads are held securely in their pad clips.