Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Highlander: , I have an 05 Toyota highlander. It recently

Customer Question

Hi, I have an 05 Toyota highlander. It recently started automatically setting the alarm by itself, which it has never done before. Can you tell me how to disable the passive feature of the alarm?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,Yes, I would still like some help.
Hi
To my knowledge the only way to bypass the system is to not lock the doors. The system can not be removed or disabled. Most often its a door ajar or hood ajar sensor that is changing state while parked and locked up meaning one of the sensors showed open. It thinks you left the window down and someone reached inside to gain access.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Here's some more info:The issue is that the car does automatically arm the alarm, even when I don't lock the car and even when I have a door open. If I lock the car with the FoB, it beeps 4 times and arms the alarm. If I close the doors, but don't lock them, it beeps once and arms the alarm after 30 seconds. If I leave a door open and don't lock the car, it beeps once and arms the alarm after 5 minutes. This is a particular nuisance because if I'm loading the car or cleaning it with the doors open, at some point I'm liable to set off the alarm by opening another door after 5 minutes. Further, I often don't want to lock the doors because I live in a very safe place and will often leave the keys on the dash for a friend to use the car, but the alarm goes off when they open the door. Lastly, it's a nuisance that it beeps so much. If I'm getting home late and people are sleeping, I don't want it beeping at all, let alone 4 times. However, I end up locking the car anyway so someone doesn't inadvertently set off the alarm.The particularly strange part of this issue is that I am the second owner of this car and am very good friends with the first owner who bought the car new. In 10 years, the car has never done this. Then one ordinary day a few weeks ago, it just started doing it. The only possible difference that day that I can think of is that my friend used the key to unlock the doors rather than the FoB. However, it's certainly not the first time that the key has been used in the door.What I would like the car to do, and what it used to do, is only arm the alarm if I lock the doors. Also, I would like it to not beep when I do so, which is how it used to be.
Are you sure there is not an aftermarket alarm or immobilizer on the vehicle. All that horn honking is not the standard operating procedure of this vehicle when stock.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't say for sure, but it appears to be OEM. The alarm light is in one of the knockouts to the left of the steering wheel, and looks like all the rest of the dash.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is an engine immobilizer though. I have to "unlock" the car sometimes to start the engine. It has that feature listed in the manual though.
I do not believe I can figure this one out not in person, I am going to let another try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks anyway!