Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Avalon XLS: I have a 2000 Avalon, and reason my dash

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Avalon, and for some reason my dash lights, the control console w/heat/A/C lights flicker, and it seems my radio sometime shorts out. Your explanation as to why this is happen? Thanks!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site.
This is a common issue with Avalons and Camrys, but, unfortunately, Toyota is not providing much technical support to their dealers on how to fix it.
What we have found on most of these vehicles is that the OEM alternator is designed to barely do the job, even when the vehicle is brand new - as connections deteriorate with time, the lights begin to flicker.
To correct this condition, we install a higher capacity (100A) alternator and also make sure all connections are clean and there are no voltage drops anywhere in the circuit.
Best Regards.