Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

4Runner 4 x 4 V-6: . I am Steve. My 2006 4Runner (V6 4x4)

Customer Question

Hello. I am Steve. My 2006 4Runner (V6 4x4) had CEL on so took to local dealer. Bad knock sensors and harness they said. At first estimate was $1,401.00. Today they state the heads need to come off to replace sensors to the tune of $4,000.00 due to a water tube in the way. Is this correct? Pull heads for knock sensors?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this information is correct. The one cylinder head has to be removed in order to get the knock sensors out of the valley. The way the pipe is designed there's no room to remove the pipe and the sensors will not clear between the pipe to the cylinder head. Sorry for the bad news but they are correct. This being said there is a possibility that if you have knock sensor codes the harness could just be chewed up. I have seen this a lot rodents like to make nests under the intake manifold and if the wiring is the issue usually you can get in and get the connector disconnected and repair the wiring and not have to remove the cylinder head to do that. Just the intake manifold. The sensors rarely fail. This will cost only about 3 to 4 hours in labor. If they have access to a borescope you can run a borescope down in under the intake manifold from the front side and you will see the debris and the harness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. Never like bad news but at least confirmation makes me feel a bit better.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. If you have not done so please do not forget to rate my assistance at 3 or higher.