Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Toyota Highlander Hybrid: , after the thuderstorm last night

Customer Question

hi, after the thuderstorm last night all 3 of my 07 hyghlander hybrid fobs stopped working, and i can not reprogram the fob following instructions i used a few years ago. Help.....
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what is described here this sounds to be an internal electrical fault in the receiver/control module itself.The electrical storm may have caused a power spike/surge or interference signal to the control module/receiver and caused it to fail like this here.I would have the fault codes checked to see what codes are set in all computers using a scan tool that can plug into your vehicle and communicate with all computers to see what codes are set.Once this has been done the codes can then be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.I suspect the receiver/control module will need replaced.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just got back from Advance Auto. They scanned the car via the OBDII ports with 2 different units as the first scan did not yield any error codes. The second scan had the same results, no fault codes at all.

Would a bad control module/receiver throw an error code? How do I test? What is the actual name of the control module receiver and part number for my 2007 toyota highlander hybrid?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay as I was off line the last few days.
The control unit is called the wireless door lock ECU on this model here.In some cases it may not set a fault code and in some cases if a scan tool that is being used is one that cannot communicate with all computers in your vehicle this is why no codes are showing up as well here.
A scan tool is needed to monitor the door lock signals on the scan tool data list to check this ECU.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete,

I pulled the unit from my in-laws 2006 highlander (identical part number), installed it in my car and got the exact symptom in that the fob does not work, and i can not initiate the programming of my fob via the key in/out, key in/out, door close/open, door close/open, etc.

I installed mine in their car and was able to program their fob. so i tested the voltages at each wire to the chassis ground and the voltages were very similar (no no more than a volt off).

Glad I did not purchase a door controler receiver unit from the dealer! What should i do next?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay. The next thing to do here is to have the codes checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.This way you can verify what codes are set and this will also help pinpoint the fault here. If you can find out what codes are set in all computers this will help.

Thanks Pete