Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Tacoma: 2007 tacoma trd. Over the past two years I've replace

Customer Question

2007 tacoma trd. Over the past two years I've replace three blower resisters, two blower fans and two supposedly upgraded pig tails. Now the fan is only running on high again!! Everything is new and all ohm readings are within tolerances. Any idea what gives? AC and heat work but the fan is once again only running on high....oh yeah....also replaced the cabin filter twice.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
On this vehicle,12 volts is supplied directly to the fan motor form position 4 (high) on the switch.
{Positions 1,2 and 3 send 12 volts to the resistor, where the resistances are in place to send 3, 6 and 9 volts to the fan motor, (low, low mid and high mid).
If the fan is running only on high, you probably have an open circuit inside the resistor, or the resistor has failed again. It is critical that the resistor not be blocked from the air flow. Any impediment in the air blowing past the resistor will cause it to overheat and fail (a clogged cabin filter will def kill a resistor rather quickly.
I would recommend replacement of the resistor. You can check this bu removing the wire connector from the motor and measuring the voltage. If you havce xero volts in positions 1,2 & 3, power is not leaving the resistor output section.
Some of the older resistors (with the coils), we have found a solder joint opens up. This is a safety feature. If you have the coil resistor, look for a bad solder joint and a metal tab that has come loose. If you have the resistor panel (a flat thing); it has probably overheated and failed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As stated earlier, I have installed the fourth resistor just today....brand new OEM. Still only runs on high!! Thanks for the update on how a resistor works but I already new that. Why is it burning out of the cabin filter is brand new and air flow is sufficient? So far you have been of little help. Oh yeah, just in case you were wondering, the negative battery post is always disconnected when I work on electronics. 35 years in IT YOU SEE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh yeah, if you were really a Toyota expert you would have known the 2007 Tacoma doesn't have a cool resistor. Jeeez
Easy there, my good man. I'm here to help.
I have no idea of your skill level unless you tell me.
Our job here is to provide as much basic info as possible, assuming the client is not a 35 year professional.
If the client has additional questions, we drill down from there.
In this case, I would bet that your heater switch has a poor connection. This will pulse power to the resistor and cause it to fail. Pull the center HVAC control panel off and see if the wire connector for the heater switch has any evidence of overheating. If so, replace the switch.
By the way: I have 35 years in the business. Tons of awards. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Much better. Congrats on the awards. Will check tomorrow morning.
Additionally, the flat plate resistors are known to be bad in the box. We have had tyo return several to the parts system because they did not work right out of the box (new, genuine parts). I would not be surprised that you have a defective unit.
I would also check the ground for your heater motor. Ohm it out. If the ground is not really good, this too causes problems.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nice work and thx. You handled this grumpy old geezer geek well. Have a good night
You are very welcome. Several of my awards are for customer satisfaction....