Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota camry: , I have a 1998 toyota camry and I have misplaced

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1998 toyota camry and I have misplaced my only car keys. I have an alarm on the car. I do have a spare key, but no spare alarm. I know that once I open the door the alarm is going to go off. How do I disarm it?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you have a factory alarm or a aftermarket alarm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's a factory alarm.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ok, you can disarm it by locking and unlocking the drivers door with the key, have you tried this yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I haven't tried anything yet. Well, first I will have to unlock the door and then I will try locking and unlocking. So I don't do anything with the ignition?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
No, the alarm system is sperate from the immobilizer system, the key utilizes the immobilizer in the ignition switch,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim, that did not work. Once I opened the door the alarm went off and I couldn't even lock and unlock the doors. So I did what I found out on the internet, which was to turn the ignition and then reach down and press the valet button. When I did that, the alarm turned off immediately. Damn, I spent $28 for nothing.

Bye

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
if you have a valet switch, then its not a factory alarm system, the factory alarm systems do not use a valet switch, it has to be a dealer instaled or aftermarket system,Tim