Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Camry: i'm only getting sound out of the right rear speaker

Customer Question

i'm only getting sound out of the right rear speaker on my 2001 Camry. The stereo system has four main speakers and two tweeters opposite the side mirros. This car was damaged on the front passenger side door. After the damage was repaired, the front speakers did not work, but they gave out a sound of static snow when the stereo was off. this would persist for the first 15 to 30 minutes of driving before cutting out. What may or may not be a coincidence is that after about 2 weeks the battery went completely dead, and this made me suspect that the static was the result of some kind of short that had been draining the battery 24/7 from the time of the damage. After replacing the battery, there hasn't been any sound out of any but the right rear speaker, which operates properly. The stereo controls for the fader and balance do work. What is best way to go about troubleshooting this problem?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Pleas allow me to assist you.
An immpact on the right side of the car, in the door area, has, in my opinion, if the vehicle is so equipped, damaged the radio amplifier.
The amplifier is located at the extreme right side the passemnger side, under the dashboard. If the amp has been damaged you will get static in the speakers and you can also get a battery drain.
If this car was in my shop I would be changing the amplifier
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply
If not, Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the best way to remove/replace the amplifier? How can I check the wiring inside the door for damage?
I would recommend you remove the glovebox door and then the glovebox. The amp is located to the right of the glovebox opening
Regarding the door wires, pull the door panel off and do a visual inspection. You may have damaged wires where the wires travel between the body and the door inside the rubber tube.