Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota Corolla: I have a 2011 Toyota Corolla LE, Automatic

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Toyota Corolla LE, Automatic transmission. I'm getting what almost sounds like gear whine. It happens under braking. The noise isn't coming from the brakes though. It doesn't happen all the time, it does seem to get worse and be more frequent in heavier traffic. Seems to be louder on left side. Car has 73,000 miles on it. I don't know if it's coming from the transmission or cv joint.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
This sounds like you either have a wheel hub/bearing going bad or the differential section of the transaxle has an issue.
The recommendation here would be further diagnosis by lifting the vehicle on a hoist and checking for improper noises in the wheel bearing and transaxle via a mechanic's stethescope
In all honesty, this is the very first step in determining where the noise is. This would be the same thing in any shop. After that, it is a matter of determining why the noise is occurring.
I would be hesitant to speculate on the possibilities without a good noise diagnosis.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply