Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  I have been/am a Toyota technician for 15yrs+.
75929629

I had the second keyless remote wife's 2007 Toyota Camry.

Customer Question

I had the second keyless remote for my wife's 2007 Toyota Camry. About two years ago her remote "died," so I gave her mine and took the one she'd been using. Last week I finally got around to ordering a battery replacement for it and installed it, but I'm still getting the "No key detected" message when I try to use it to start the car. What's up?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Your Toyota Guy replied 1 year ago.
When your key (the non-working one) is in the car does the red led in the corner flash (should flash once every 20 secs. or so)? (You won't see the led unless it is flashing as it is under the plastic).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, all I see is the screen saying "No key detected," and a triangular red light to the left of it with an exclamation point in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you responding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replied to the mechanic's question: "When your key (the non-working one) is in the car does the red led in the corner flash (should flash once every 20 secs. or so)? (You won't see the led unless it is flashing as it is under the plastic)." But. after three minutes I have received no response. Is anyone chatting with me, or am I wasting my time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, maybe I didn't properly hit the "Send" button. I'll once again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One minute after my previous message; I've still received no reply. I'm signing off.
Sorry, I work for Toyota during the day, and can only respond in the evenings. With all the information you have given me it sounds like the battery is in upside down. For a final test hold down the lock button on the remote and see if the led flashes then, if not then the new battery is in upside down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say you think the battery is in "upside down," do you mean top-to-bottom or back-to-front? As for back-to-front, I'm pretty sure it's in correctly, as the visible side of the battery shows the info: Panasonic 1632 3 volt.When I disassembled the remote to see if I could correct the problem, I found that the rectangular clear plastic (or rubber) insulation fell out, and so far I've not been able to reinsert it. I assume it goes on the back side of the remote board's housing--the side where the battery is located. How do you get it properly positioned--do you insert it on the black plastic backside of the housing and then place board's battery side on top of it, or does the insulation go over the battery side of the board before inserting it into the housing?If you can be quite specific about the problem of reassembling the remote correctly, I'll be able to determine if the problem was, as you suggested, that the battery had been incorrectly installed.Thank you. [I won't expect a reply until late tonight.]
Put the remote together except for the black rubber insert and the back cover, then place the the black rubber insert over the face down remote and place the black cover on and snap it closed. After you get it back together check the basic operation of the remote by holding down the lock button and looking for the red led to blink.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've finally found the cause of the problem. The replacement battery I bought proved to be a "dud." I got another one today, just to be sure that wasn't the case, and installed it. Lo and behold, it's working again. Sorry to have wasted your time (and my money).
No problem at all, please do take a second to rate my service so I can stay on the site and help others.