Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Highlander: Last night when driving home the check engine light,

Customer Question

Last night when driving home the check engine light, immediately followed by the VSC light, appeared on my dash board. I have a 2006 toyota highlander. Any ideas?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for posting your question
There are quite a few things that can cause the check engine light to turn on, most of the time if the engine is running normally it is caused by an emission control system malfunction, the other lights will turn on as soon as the computer detects a fault with the engine control system, this is normal due to these system being disabled as long as the CEL remains on and in most cases they will go back off once the problem is fixed.
What you can do at this time is to check under the hood for any disconnected vacuum or breather hoses or any loose or disconnected wiring, just do a visual inspection, closely check the hoses coming off the air filter box and the evap purge valve and those hoses, a common problem is that the 1/2" hose at the side of the air filter housing is disconnected. Next check the gas cap, make sure it is on tight, check the fuel filler neck and the cap for damage to the sealing surface and the seal on the cap, if in doubt try a new OEM fuel cap, if it was either one of these clear the CEL by disconnecting negative battery cable for about a minute, see if they stay off or come back on, it may take some time until the computer sees the fault again.
If you reside in any state other than California you can also go to an auto parts store like Autozone they can assist you with getting the diagnostic trouble codes at no charge then you can get back to me here and let me know which codes they retrieved from the computer and we can go from there.