Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My t100 3zve tries to start but only runs a couple of seconds

Customer Question

My
t100 3zve tries to start but only runs a couple of seconds .have replaced fuel filter,regulator and when checking pressure at fuel rail I had 45 psi when I turned
Key off it dropped immediately I heard it may be fuel damper?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
Nominal fuel pressure should he HELD with the key off. The pressure should not drop to zero. This sounds vey much like the internal check valve in the fuel pump has failed. The pressure should stay around 35-40 on the fuel pressure gauge for at least 4-4 hours.
If the pressure is dropping to zero as soon as you turn the key off, the recommendation would be to replace the fuel pump
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not fuel pump brand new and pressure is holding steady at fuel filter out line
The fuel pump is designed to hold fuel in the fuse system; under pressure, by design when the key is off.
This keeps fuel at the injector rail for the next start.
Your fuel pressure should not drop to zero withe the key off as you have stated earlier, where you stated: and when checking pressure at fuel rail I had 45 psi when I turned Key off it dropped immediately
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please send me something
If this vehicle was in my shop I would be removing the fuel pump and fitting one that held fuel pressure. After that we would see if there were any other issues to tackle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pumps fine cheked it at tank and fuel filter out line has to be after that point
If the fuel pump is holding pressure your injectors are bleeding the pressure off. Do you smell raw fuel on restart?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No but I can hear fuel running when ignition is on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
What year is this t-100?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1993 3zve engine
The fuel pump on this engine should Not run with they key on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It starts when I turn it over its made to its leaking up top somewhere after ignition is off like I said before it runs a few seconds and quits fuel damper leaking to inside ot injectors?
I would pull one side of the injectors our and observe them. See if they leak fuel after the key is turned off.