Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

4Runner 4x4 limited: I lost my keys 1999 4Runner limited.

Customer Question

I lost my keys for my 1999 4Runner limited. I have found a locksmith who knows how to reflash the ecu but wants me to find it and remove to save $200. I want to make sure that it's the one behind the glove box. Anything I should be aware of before I begin?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this has happened. It sounds like you know what you are doing already. Yes , the ECU is just behind the glove box and the only thing you need to do before removing it is to disconnect the car battery as this will prevent any voltage spikes. Also write down any radio station presets and after the work is performed set the clock. Thats about it for this job as it is pretty straight forward and easy.