Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Camry: I have a 2008 toyota camry. The air conditioning and

Customer Question

I have a 2008 toyota camry. The air conditioning and heater blow the same consistant temperature. I first thought it was just the ac not working but I have had it to a reputable mechanic and he has re charged the system and checked the compressor to verify it is cycling as it should. He admits he has not seen this issue before so is going to do some research over the holiday weekend as well. Are there any common issues that may cause this? This does not have auto climate control. It has the three knobs. All knobs and lights work as they should except for the temperature being mild almost the same as the outside air. Thank you for any input you may have.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
Sometimes, when the system charge is low, you get air into the AC system. This causes a situation we call 'equalization'...when this happens the refrigerant does not change from a liquid to a gaseous state, which causes the AC to not cool.
Just adding freon to the system does not displace the air...it actually causes another problem.
If this car was in my shop, I would be evacuating all of the refrigerant out of the car, and then draw a vacuum. If the vacuum holds, I would then introduce the exact amount of refrigerant into the AC system (too much can cause it to not cool, too). After that I would check the pressures on the system with gauges.
Since the compressor is cycling, that is good. This really sounds like you either have excess air in the system or there is too much freon.
Your next step is to have the AC system evacuated and then recharged with the exact amount of freon.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Something I just thought of. The day we noticed this we had just picked the car up from the shop. It had the front motor mount replaced and drivers side drive shaft. Is there any thing near those that may have come loose. I don't see that the mechanic evaced the system today so I will check with them next week
nothing on the driver side; all of the AC stuff is on the passenger side.
This really sounds like an evacuate and proper recharge is needed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will request that on tuesday. Thank you.
You are very welcome. Thanks for choosing Just Answer. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Have a great holiday weekend
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried changing the controls to my feet and it won't move only to face. Sorry just noticed it
That is one of the following:
Disconnected mode control wire behind the panel with the three knobs
Disconnected wire at the mode control on the heater box
Mode control arm disconnected, seized, or broken at the heater box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Defrost light glasses at start up a
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the short Sentence auto correct. The defrost light flashes as well at start up.
That is bizarre. I have never had a problem with the defrost light flashing. You may have an AC amplifier going bad, or the hi pressure cut-out switch is activating. Have the system evacuated and recharged before doing anything else
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Will do
Let me know how you make out after your guy looks at it again. I'm interested in what he finds. Please relay the following info back to me: High Side Pressure and Low Side Pressure He will know what I mean
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am considering taking to the dealer this time. I will let you know what I find out
Thank you.