Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota 4runner: How do I get my 97 Toyota 4Runner out of 4wd?also

Customer Question

How do I get my 97 Toyota 4Runner out of 4wd?also if I've been driving on dry paved roads with my 4wd engaged could this damage my car?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
If the vehicle is in 4 Hi, stop, put it into neutral, shift into 2 HI, and then pull forward 5 feet. It should disengage. If it does not, an actuator is not working properly.
The transfer case will also stick ion 4WD if one of the tires are a different size (like 3 worn and one new one), or 3 of one brand and another of a different brand. The difference in tire circumference will 'bind' the actuator and cause it to not release.
You may need to put it on a vehicle hoist to get it out of 4WD if the tires do not match
You really won't damage the system by driving on hard pavement, the tires will grip and wear funny if you do a lot of tight turns like city driving.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer