sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Toyota tacoma: i have a similar problem... once in a while

Customer Question

hi i have a similar problem... once in a while my 4wd indicator (green light on dash) shows up when i start my truck. if i turn the truck off and start it back up the light goes away. my 4wd is not engaging nor working at all. when i try to engage the 4wd the light does not turn on and i cant feel the clunk when engaging. and when i press the rear diff button it just flashes.. please help
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The problem could be a handful of things and it's going to take some electrical testing to see what is going on.
Most likely the transfer case module is either not awake when the problem happens or it's seeing a failure somewhere in the system and preventing operation. the problem could be the module itself, a loss of power or ground to it, wiring, or the transfer case motor.
The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see if the module communicates. If not then it's powers and grounds would need to be checked next.
If the module does communicate then the fault codes will need to be read and it can be diagnosed from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so i cleaned all my electricals on the tcase actuator and also the front actuator.. n nothing still the same also came to realse my truck is stuck in 4wd... the drive shaft does not spin completely around.. and when i drive the drive shaft spins... do u no what i can do to take it out of 4wd
The problem will need to be repaired to be able to shift it out of four wheel drive.
Has the module been checked for communication?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have no idea where the module is located.....and i also noticed a bunch of grease or oil covering my tcase i tried cleaning it as best as i could..
A scan tool capable of communication with the transfer case module will be necessary to begin diagnosis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks! but where is the trans module located? is it on the trans itself or in the dash somewhere?
the transfer case control module is what needs to be checked, rather than the he transmission control module. Its inside the truck. The scan tool will be connected to the data link connector under the dash.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
jus curious if i was to change tht switch on my trans actuator would tht work? because when i press my 4wd button i dont here no clicking?
Replacing the transfer case motor would repair the issue if the motor has failed.