EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Advanced Level Certified, 17 years dealer experience
34559540

Avalon: my Avalon has a new starter but even with jumper cables

Customer Question

my Avalon has a new starter but even with jumper cables it wont crank
Category: Toyota
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please rate my assistance after we have concluded chatting.
Hi. You may have a problem with the starter relay, the ignition switch, or just bad positive battery cable connections. Do you have a test light, so you can see if the starter is getting power on the small wire when the key is turned to start? This would isolate if the cars wiring is working, and if you may have poor connections causing lack of power to the starter, from the battery.
Please respond to let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric, I don't have a test light. How much would one cost? Also, the relay and ignition switch, where are they located? The battery cable is good, I think but there has been a battery drain in the past and I let the car sit for too long this time.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
You may have poor cable connections from corrosion under the battery cable protective layer near the terminal end. A test light is less then 50 dollars. The ignition switch is on the ignition column, which sends power to the relay.
Is your car a manual or automatic transmission also?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
automatic. I just tried with a second set of jumpers, just in case and there is that buzzing noise vs the click s I think the tarter is getting juice and I believe I hear the fuel pump click every 7 seconds? but no cranking as tho no gas but gauge says half full. DO people still try starter fluid on these fuel injected cars?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
They do, but if the car is not cranking then starting fluid will not work. The starter may not be getting enough juice though, to turn the engine over. The starter relay is in the fuse box, you could hear which one is clicking and try swapping it out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While I was waiting for your response I got some starting fluid and the first time it turned over for just a second. Then I could not get it to start again. Don't understand that. I will try to find the starter relay tomorrow. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric, I removed the air hose and opened the flap to the carb and sprayed starter fluid and it started several times for just a second and then cut off as tho its not getting gas. Does that mean anything to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so now its starts for just a second without starter fluid, still has jumpers on it cause battery is drained but it keeps cutting off. The engine wont stay running. What can I try next? There is no sensor light, like check engine, coming on but then it is a 95.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. It is possible that you are not getting gas. I was under the impression that the vehicle was not cranking over. There should be a valve on the fuel rail of the engine that you can push and see if there is fuel there. Or put a gage onto it to check the fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well, I might be using " cranking" differently then you. to me cranking is when your engine is trying to turn over and just cant quite make it, where as it never made it that far until I used the starter fluid. anyway, a valve on the fuel rail? where is the fuel rail on a 95 Avalon? never heard that term before. is the fuel pump inside the gas tank?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pump is in the fuel tank. The fuel rail is located on the engine. It is connected to the fuel injectors. It is located pretty much dead center in the middle of the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so it sounds like the fuel rail is the whole assembly where the fuel injectors are located behind the top of the engine? where I sprayed the starter fluid? and what about this valve? I am unable to find any helpful pics online.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
On your vehicle there actually is not a valve to check the fuel pressure. You need to manually disconnect the fuel line from the fuel filter and turn the key on, or install a gage at that point in the system.
The fuel is the whole assembly and goes behind the intake. Cut and paste the following link for a view of the rail with the intake removed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqa8l7opi3pgvt4/avalon%20fuel%20rail.pdf?dl=0