Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Previa: Ted, I had a dead battery in my 92 previa. Aaa

Customer Question

Hi Ted, I had a dead battery in my 92 previa. Aaa jumped it, got it started, but I didn't let it run very long, nor did I drive it. The next day I tried to start it and it was dead again. The dash was getting power. Went away for 5 days with the idea I would jump it again when I got home. Tried to jump it, and crossed the jumper cables, and now o am getting no power to the dash. Aaa jumped it for me again but we couldn't get it started. The aaa guy thinks it is a fuse. What do you think? If it is the fuse which one do I need to replace? Thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for posting your question for meYes it is a fuse, most likely the high current alternator fuse rated at 80-100 amps, without looking it's exact location up I would say it is in the fuse box under the hood, it's a larger fuse with a clear cover on it, remove the cover and inspect it, it's common for a few other fuses to blow as well when this happens, the high current fuse is usually bolted in on the inside of the ox to heavy wires, let me know if you have trouble locating the fuse and I will upload a picture if I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I found the blown fuse, but it is melted pretty badly, and I am having a hard time getting all the broken pieces out with out messing up the plastic casing. Any advise on how to do this? Its quite tedious with the needlenose pliers pulling out all the broken melted debris. My concern is when i do get it all out, will the new fuse connect properly?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply, did you remove the bolts on the fuse terminals inside the box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, I'll try that next.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I think that will help, there are heavy wires attached so make sure the battery is disconnected.