Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 1988 toyota pickup with a 5vz-fe engine swap.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1988 toyota pickup with a 5vz-fe engine swap. All of the sudden the A/c is no longer working, I dont get any cold air. The engine idle changes when I push the A/C button, and I hear the condenser hissing under the dash (like its supposed to) the 134a pressure is at 40 psi. The a/c clutch is engaging and the compressor is spinning. When I feel the high and low pressure lines going into the compressor, one line is very hot while the other is ambient temperature. What could be my problem?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for posting your question

It sounds like there may be a restriction in the system, possibly at the expansion valve at the inside in the evaporator housing, this is why there is this hissing noise, there should be no noise. The high pressure line (the small diameter) should be hot, the larger diameter line is the low pressure side which should be very cold, not ambient temperature, this why it is not getting cold. The normal pressure while the compressor is running should be about 28-35 psi on the low and the high side around 150psi.

If it still uses the R-12 freon it's going to have to be retro fitted for the R134 type which is the only freon available anymore,

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
My advise would be to replace the expansion valve, vacuum the system and convert it to the R134 freon if necessary