Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

Was driving my 91 Corolla on the highway. Heard a squealing

Customer Question

Was driving my 91 Corolla on the highway. Heard a squealing sound, lost power, car would not respond to the throttle and stalled. Started the car while parked on the side of the road, it idled, but again wouldn't respond to any throttle. Checked the ETCS fuse, all good. Checked the fault code and it indicates 24.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here

The code 24 indacates problem with the air intake sensor concern and since you lost throttle and your hearing a squealing noise I would start with taking a close look at the air intake hose from the air cleaner to the throttle body to be sure its not cracked and leaking, if it is, it can cause the noise as well as the type of problem you are having. It very common for the hose to crack and leak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've inspected the hose, there are no issues with it. The check engine light isn't on, although the 24 code is in the system. I don't know if it's an old code.

What else can stop the throttle from working. Right now, there's no squealing. It starts, idles at 700rpm. If I throttle up to full throttle, it runs at about 850rpm. If I throttle down it will no longer idle and stalls.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If you are sure you have no leaks then the next thing I would check is the fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At what specific point in the line would you check the pressure?

What should the pressure range be at idle?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pressure need to be right 30 to 37 PSI , to check it you have to tee into the fuel supply line at the injector rail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fuel pressure is 39 on my gauge. I noticed the engine will rev a little higher if unplug vacuum hoses.

What can I check next?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pressure looks good. Are you checking it while the loss of power is occurring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked the pressure while idling, then while attempting to accelerate, there was very little variance in fuel pressure.

To re-cap, The car lost power while driving on the highway. It wouldn't respond to the throttle. On the side of the road, I started it a couple of times. One time I was able to feather the throttle and it responded by acting normal. I revved the engine between 3-5k rpms for about 20 seconds. Once I let it idle, it stalled. I've haven't been able to get it to rev up since.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Well if you sure the fuel pressure is holding under load then the other thing you may want to check is the timing. If the timing belt has slipped and or jumped it could cause a loss of power as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll check timing. If it jumped a tooth, how far retarded will it be?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
One tooth would be enough to effect power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Haven't had time to check the timing yet, stuck at work.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
No problem, Im here if you need me.