Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota Land cruiser Prado: I have a 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Diesel (I live in Costa Rica). I am having problems with the ignition cylinder which is mated with a "sensor". The sensor must be in the car for the key to work. I have taken the vehicle to a mechanic, two locksmiths and a Toyota dealer. They always clean the ignition system with graphite and the key works. The last locksmith make a new key. The "fix" works for a period of time then it reoccurs. The car will not start. The key turns, the coil "light" on the dashboard Blinks but not like is normally does when working properly. My personal feeling is that the problem is NOT the key. I think the ignition system need to be replaced. Do you agree? If you do, where can I purchase this system and how hard is it to replace? I suspect the ignition system and "sensor" are connected to the main computer. Any thoughts. Thank You. Jim

PS  I tried to start the vehicle today.  The "coil wire symbol" on the dashboard would just blink.  If I put the "sensor" right next to the key in the ignition it would start.  Makes me think the "Security Sensor" is bad.

Category: Toyota