sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Corolla Sedan: 88 Corolla. No crank no start. However, I can

Customer Question

88 Corolla. No crank no start. However, I can hook a wire from starter, turn key to on and then touch wire to battery and it will start. Battery is good. Starter is good. Replaced Ignition Cylinder. Is it the Ignition Switch? I tried to bypass to a push button and at first, it worked. Wire from Battery, wire from Starter.Turn Ignition to On and it worked. Then it started making a noise like the starter would not dis-engage and I had to open hood and disconnect wire to battery. It still was running. What else can it be
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The problem could be a handful of things and it will take some electrical testing to know exactly what is going on.
Possible causes for the starter solenoid not being powered would be the ignition switch, clutch switch or starter relay (manual trans), range sensor (automatic trans), and wiring.
If the engine continued to run after the key was turned off then odds are you have a bad ignition switch.
If the starter stayed engaged after power was removed from the solenoid then the starter also either has a mechanical issue or the contacts in the solenoid were stuck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the ignition switch and tested the clutch switch which both are ok. When I turn the key off the engine turns off. Where I have the wire connected to the starter is where you can unhook a small wire on the side of the starter, which I think is the solenoid. It clips in. Then the wire is long enough to reach the battery. I Put the car in neutral and then from there I just hit the positive battery cable with the wire and it starts. I then place the wire to the side for when I have to start it again. It is so hard to see the alternator on this car. It is all the way down below everything. I was under the impression that if it started with the wire, then the starter is good, and there is no power or not enough power going from the ignition switch to the starter. The battery is good. It wouldn't start without this set up. But after I installed the push start,
I had to disconnect the wire from the starter because it acted as if it was still trying to start. As soon as I disconnected it, it continued to run but without the noise. Anyways, now, I don't even have to have the key in the ignition,let alone have it turned to start and in neutral and just touch the battery and it tries to start, so the push start button is not doing anything.So, it seems to me that it is the starter, because even though the solenoid is working, the starter might not be and it is all one unit. You can't replace one or the other. You have to replace the whole thing. What do you think?
How were the ignition switch and clutch switch ruled out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the ignition switch with a new one and the clutch switch was ruled out because my understanding was that it would not start in neutral if it was bad. I bought this car and it had to be jumped to start it. We replaced the alternator and since then when I would turn the key, no crank no start. Then my son broke the key off in the ignition, so after completely demolitioning the cylinder, I bought a new one and that didn't change the no crank no start.
So, what is the steps I should do again, to eliminate factors to achieve the goal of putting the key in, turning it and having it start on its own? Since the push button start has failed, I cannot get it registered because it has to pass the emissions test and they told me they would not accept it by having to lift the hood to start the car. A push button was ok. This is my only vehicle and I need a car.
The clutch switch prevents the starter from engaging without pressing the clutch pedal. If you haven't physically tested the clutch switch that's the next step.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you test that?
A test light digital voltmeter would be needed. A voltmeter can be used to check it's continuity with the pedal pressed.