sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Tundra: I had the same thing happen. It sounds like the fuel

Customer Question

I had the same thing happen. It sounds like the fuel pump is coming on, and then I hear what sounds like grinding.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
Based on what you've posted it sounds like you may have a failed fuel pump. If you're just turning the key to the run position and you're hearing a grinding noise from the fuel tank area when the pump runs then most likely you're hearing abnormal noise from a failed pump. If the pump fails then it will produce low or no fuel pressure which can prevent it from starting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it's the fuel pump. The grinding sound comes from where the starter is.
If it's an actual grinding from the starter then either the starter has failed or there is damage to the flexplate teeth that the starter engages.
If it's actually a rapid clicking noise then the problem is low battery voltage.