Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Prius: A few days after buying a user Prius. I had a stroke.

Customer Question

A few days after buying a user Prius. I had a stroke. The smart start switch was on and the battery was drained. The smart start switch was turned off. Ground strap on battery was disconnected and the battery was recharged. Now what do I have to do to start the engine?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for posting your question,
do you have a voltmeter to check a couple of things?.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply, I couldn't get back to you last night.
Do you get a 'ready' light on the dash brake applied, pushing the start button once and the light on the button going to green?
If not open the hood and the fuse box near the left fender, open the red cover with the plus sign on it and measure the voltage at the post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Hello, were you able to read any vo0ltage at the post in the fuse box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When using the "key" and pushing the button, there is an extremely brief flash of some spot on the "dash" but it is too brief to see what flashed. When using a meter on my charger, I read 12.0 v between ground and the hot contact in the fuse box under the front hood. Note that I read 12.7 v on the battery when I first recharged the battery several days ago (and the battery ground lead was not connected while charging.) Note that I I disconnected the ground on the battery to frame while charging. Note that I disconnected the ground lead from the battery to the frame while charging the battery; then I discovered the "start system cancel switch" (15 in manual) was On and I switched it Off. (I bought the used car two days before I had a stroke; so the battery was totally drained before I recovered from the stroke,)
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update
I am currently away from my home computer which has all my files and information and I can only get back to you periodically when there is a wi fi connection , I will be back home on tuesday so in so I think it would be better if I opt out at this time and see if another expert can help