Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Highlander: Good afternoon. My name is***** have the wifes

Customer Question

Good afternoon. My name is***** have the wifes 2008 Highlander base model. Two weeks ago, key fob stopped working; will not lock or unlock doors. Tried other key fob that has been hanging in cabinet since vehicle was new; never used. Still neither would work. Changed both batteries with fresh batteries. Still nothing. All solenoids work with door switches. When transmission placed in reverse, doors lock automatically. Everything works as it did before but key fobs will not work. Wife is getting aggravated.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. I know that these things can be frustrating especially when the spouse is getting aggravated about it. The solution to this should be straight forward with them needed to be reprogrammed to the vehicle. (yes, they can become "lost" to the body control module and need to be reintroduced) So how is your relationship with your local Today Dealer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The relationship sucks with the dealerships in New Orleans. I brought the behicle in for a callback and they said I needed a new control module for a minimum of $500. I think they are crazy. Is there a way for me to reprogram?
I am really sorry to hear the news about the Dealers. We are not all like that. Unfortunately, the local Dealer, well equipped locksmith or Independent Repair shop will have to reprogram these to the car using a OEM Level scantool. Here is a site that most car owners use to program a remote to the car but as you can see, it is not possible to perform it manually.... http://www.programyourremote.com/classified/2008-toyota-highlander-listing-6441.aspx#.VVPZ_vlViko
I wish I had better news than this. Do you know of a repair shop in your area that specializes in Toyota/Lexus vehicles?