Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 99 ES300 has a similar problem to that of the VSV. Either

Customer Question

My 99 ES300 has a similar problem to that of the VSV. Either RPMs jump on start, and stall. Or after disconnecting the battery, it resets fine until pressure builds from driving and the car shudders and bogs down.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
National Auto Zone Store read diagnostics:
Heated Oxygen Sensor: Bank 1 Sensor 1 (HO2S11)
Insufficient switching.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes Chris, I need help. I gave you symptoms and paid $ 20.00 for this service two,days ago.
Please diagnos this as many other Toyotas/ Lexus's have this problem.
I'm not driving the car due to this problem, but I need to !
Steve Mieras
Hi
You mentioned a similar problem, and I feel your comparing it to another question here, but we can not see the post your referring to. Can you go into more detail on the VSV issue?
Do you recall the code number that was stored?
My current thoughts are the MAF sensor is dirty needing to be cleaned, the fuel pressure may be low, or there is a vacuum leak.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would love to give you a 5 star rating when we finish this diagnosis.
Again, the codes read HO2S11, Heated Oxygen Sensor, signal shorted to EMC ground.
insufficient switching, Bank One Sensor One.
This could lead to a switch ratio of rich to lean.
Improper oxygen supply to sensor, check sensor wires and connection.The above was from Auto Zone Store, a diagnostic code was pulled.Chris, the car runs fine on dry weather conditions, and terrible when wetness is in the air. If you are a Toyota expert, then I'm sure you have seen this problem frequently, as many blogs are repeating the same problems. I'm looking for the proper way to diagnos, get parts, and do the work myself if possible.
Thank You
Steve(###) ###-####
Please call me if you can, but give me your area code in a reply here so I will know about the call.
I really need to know the code number since the description of the code fits to many possible O2 sensor codes. open the file below.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/99airfuel.png
You can see there are a lot of possible codes, each with different ways to diagnose. So far it looks like this is a lean issue. Can you check the fuel pressure, clean the MAF sensor and check for vacuum leaks, or do you need help doing those if you have never done them before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only the Toyota Dealership provides these codes, so I gave you the above Auto Zone Car Care Center codes.
I was hoping to avoid going to the Dealership right now and if you know Toyotas, then I thought you could help narrow the possible problems. This issue is very common among Lexus ES300's.
Again, this problem happens when it's moist or rainy outside, not when it's dry out, so it looks like a sensor mail function on the catalytic system bank of sensors. If you haven't seen this before, then I will look forward to talking to someone who has. Many have paid $ 400.00 plus dollars with three visits to the shop. I'm trying to avoid this.
The Auto Zone tools shows the code, they are just not showing it to you. I can help, I just need better information to get spot on, where as now I have just a generic answer since I can not confirm the code.